Picture the scene. I’m eighteen, looking forward to a night out with my mates. We arrange to meet in the bar of a local hotel. We get there and it’s quiet (as expected), we order drinks and start to enjoy the evening.
An hour in, we look up and it’s suddenly very busy. But it seems to be filled with middle aged men who are looking directly at us and I’m not sure if it was paranoia, but it felt a little like we were their prey, and they were getting ready to move in for the kill.
Shortly after, more women start to arrive. All in the mid to late forties or older, all dressed up to the nines and now suddenly, the men have become the prey.
As you can imagine, we hot footed it out of there and laughed as we read the huge sign outside that we’d missed when we entered. ‘Singles night’.
This was my first experience of a singles event and as you can imagine, at the tender age of eighteen, it all seemed ridiculous.
Of course, now I’m older and have grown up with the online dating phenonium, (it’s how I met the Mr after all), it doesn’t quite seem as cringe as it did back then.
But let’s face it, times have changed.
We all lead very different lives these days. We are busier, we are less social, and we have adapted to finding our match in a virtual reality rather than the physical reality.
But does online dating mean that singles events are no longer relevant?
If we can all meet online, what’s the point in hauling ourselves out of our safe space and going to meet in person?
Of course, singles events have evolved. Now there’s so many different events to choose from. From speed dating to Lego events, they certainly don’t seem to be the cringe fest they used to be.
So, what are the benefits of going out to singles events?
- First for the obvious one. It gets you out. You have become an anti-social caterpillar and it’s time you got your wings. You are a beautiful butterfly waiting to escape your cocoon.
- They are fun. Whatever type of event you are attending, they are designed to make you relax and enjoy yourself. Take your mates along and make a night of it.
- You are all in the same boat. You’re not going to make a fool of yourself, you are going to meet like-minded people who are in the same position as you.
- Singles events give you the opportunity to suss someone out. Let’s face it, a lot can be hidden online but you are far more open when you’re face to face. No selfie to hide behind.
- They’re generally affordable. It’s a great night out at a great price.
- It’s a chance to get dressed up. Let’s face it, those opportunities are limited these days so get your glam on and go for it!
- You’ll probably get a free drink or some nibbles.
- Lots of single’s events include giveaways or fun competitions so you may walk away with a snazzy little prize
Are there any downsides?
Sure! There are downsides to everything.
There’s always one who will spoil the fun. You know the type. The leery drunk who thinks he/she/they stand a chance with everyone. They are there to cop a feel, or a quick one-night stand. Well, you know what? You get those with online dating too. The only difference is, they spent a little more time flattering you behind a screen before showing their true colours when you meet. At least this way, you don’t waste time, you can simple walk away and move on to the next one.
Personally, I love singles events. In fact, I love them so much, I’m hosting them myself – and the launch event in November 2021 was incredible!
Not bad for a girl who’s first experience felt like a huge singles cringe fest!
Let your hair down and have some fun. What’s the worst that can happen?
Fancy trying a Singles Event?
Ditch your dating app, get dressed up and head down to one of We Just Clicked’s fun and relaxed events, just for singles.
You never know who you might meet!